Very frequently we use custom site and list templates to have a uniform structure throughout the site. That is when we create a doc library with custom columns, views etc… we can use that as a template to create similar libraries so that we do not have to do the required customization again and again.
For those who don’t know you can create custom templates;
- Create a document library and do the required customization. This includes doc library settings, custom views, columns etc….
- Once the customization is completed go to document library settings and click “save document library as template” under “permissions and management”
- Specify a file name and a template name. (Give a meaningful name to template name since it will be used later to create new libraries. I use the same name for both). To make things more clear include a brief description also.
- Select “enable content”. This will ensure that the folder hierarchy you created inside the library will be included in the template. (This increases the template site. By default there is a size limitation of 10Mb per template. If required this can be increased up to 500 Mb. This post written by Vinoj, explains how to increase the template size limit.
- Click ok. Once it is saved it will show a hyperlink to the list template gallery where all the templates will be saved.