As we know we can allow or restrict a user to access a library by configuring permissions appropriately. Sometimes you may need to just hide a library or a list from users without removing permissions. For an example you may have a reference list which need not be directly accessed by users. For such requirements we can hide a library using SharePoint Designer as follows.
- Open the site in SharePoint Designer
- Open the relevant library
- Under settings – > General Settings;
- uncheck “Display this list on the quick launch”
- check “hide from browser”
This will hide the library in the browser. (However user still has permission so he can access with the correct URL.)
- Open the site in SPD
- Click “All Files” . This will show hidden libraries as well. (If it is a list go to “Lists” folder under All Files.)
- Right click the relevant library and click “properties”.
- Now change the required settings and Save.